POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server load? : Re: Server load? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server load?
From: Jim Kress
Date: 10 Oct 2002 14:05:53
Message: <3da5c181@news.povray.org>
> Well, that obviously depends on what time of day you use the internet.
Few
The problem is present at 8AM, noon, 5PM, and Midnight.  I am fully aware of
bandwidth fluctuation as a function of time - having used networks like the
internet since it was known as ARPAnet, DARPAnet, etc.

If the POV server shares a server or an access point with a RH Linux mirror,
as your prior response seemed to indicate, then my question is still
relevant. I.e., can we move the RH Linux mirror to a different server or
access point to free up bandwidth for the POV server and the POV users?

If your contention is that the slowdown of the POV server is caused by a
sudden general and universal congestion of the internet itself, I find it
unlikely that the totality of the Internet has suddenly degraded to the
point where that kind of assertion could be correct, especially when I visit
10 - 20 internet sites per day and find no equivalent slowdown.

So, the problem must be with the POV server, either it is overloaded, its
access to the internet is overloaded, or it is sharing resources with
another server which is causing the POV server to be starved for bandwidth.

In any event, the question is how to fix the problem so we can return to the
speed levels we all enjoyed just a few weeks ago?

Jim